Brian Olmo | Sports Director
No. 38 FIU women’s tennis ends the regular season with a statement win over the FAU Owls, 6-1, on April 7 at the Kimberly V. Strauss Tennis Center in Boca Raton, Fla.
The Panthers finish 15-4 overall, 3-1 in the conference and 9-0 at home. Under head coach Katarina Petrovic, FIU has won 15 or more games in a season for the fifth time.
The Owls then found themselves on the receiving end of a furious beatdown in singles play, losing three straight.
Kabbaj outplayed Kudelova at No. 1 singles, dropping her 6-2, 6-3. The win is Kabbaj’s fourth in the past five matches.
Mandelikova followed up with another demoralizing blow for FAU, winning her matchup to give FIU a 3-0 advantage. Umarova then decided the match with a resounding 6-1, 6-1 win over McGinnis at No. 4 singles.
The rest of the match saw Quadre notch her 10th straight victory over O’Hayon, Loudili come out on top against Galmiche and Khairutdinova fall to Filip in a super tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 10-8.
FIU now awaits its seeding for the Conference USA Championships, which will take place from April 20-23 in Denton, Texas.
1. Yasmine Kabbaj (FIU) def. Kudelova, Martina (FAU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Filip, Katerina (FAU) def. Ekate Khairutdinova (FIU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
3. Oyinlomo Quadre (FIU) def. Gomez O’Hayon, Vic. (FAU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Kamila Umarova (FIU) def. McGinnis, Amber (FAU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Katerina Mandelikova (FIU) def. Matthews, Millie-Mae (FAU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Salma Loudili (FIU) def. Galmiche, Carla (FAU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,5,4,3,6,2
1. Galmiche, Carla/Kudelova, Martina (FAU) def. Ekate Khairutdinova/Kamila Umarova (FIU) 6-3
2. Yasmine Kabbaj/Oyinlomo Quadre (FIU) def. Gomez O’Hayon, Vic./Matthews, Millie-Mae (FAU) 6-3
3. Salma Loudili/Katerina Mandelikova (FIU) def. Filip, Katerina/McGinnis, Amber (FAU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
Follow Brian Olmo on Twitter at @Brian_Olmo11